At the insurance program, administered by Lockton Affinity, our purpose is not just to provide you with quality insurance to protect your affiliate. We are focused on managing the risks that come with the construction business and running retail stores. Risk management means educating you on how to prevent accidents and injuries. It’s how you reduce losses and insurance claims, and how we can ensure our insurance program is here for you for many years to come.
We can’t prevent every accident from happening. But many accidents can be prevented – with a little conscious risk management. And a mindset of putting safety first in all that we do.
Think of it as a challenge: Are you putting safety first every day, on every job site, with every person?
It’s All About Safety Culture
If a business operates without a strong safety culture in place, unsafe conditions go uncorrected, or worse, unnoticed. Volunteers and workers don’t feel comfortable or responsible for raising safety-related concerns. Ultimately the risk of serious injuries is increased.
In an environment where a strong safety culture has been established, on the other hand, everyone feels concerned about and responsible for safety, and pursues it on a daily basis. Applying safety practices becomes second-nature. And naturally, accidents and injuries occur less frequently.
Adopting a safety culture can be easily initiated with the creation of a formal safety plan. A safety plan outlines how safety is approached within the scope of operations of your affiliate. Participation in the Safety Award Program from the Habitat for Humanity Affiliate Insurance Program, administered by Lockton Affinity, requires the implementation of a Safety Plan for the affiliate. Our Safety Award Program guidelines lists some of the elements that must be included in the Safety Plan, including hazard prevention and controls, management and employee involvement in safety and safety training.
If you need assistance with developing a formal safety plan, we’re happy to help. Contact our Loss Control & Safety specialist, Sam Edeus at (888) 553-9002 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get started.
Safety Matters. Safety First. because…
We want zero injuries
- In last four years, over 50 serious injuries were caused by falls alone on Habitat construction sites.
- We want to prevent every injury. With your help, we can!!
Productivity stays up. More houses are built!
- Filing and managing claims take resources. The average time it takes to resolve a claim can range from a few months to a few years depending on several factors, including the severity of the injury.
- Resources are much better spent in the planning and building of homes than paying for expensive claims. The average slip, trip and fall claim costs over $10,000!
Fewer claims in the insurance program means insurance rates stay down and our program will be here for you long term.
- Since 2001, there have been over 225 claims filed in the insurance program as a result of falling, totaling more than $7.5 Million.
- We don’t want insurance to be a burden for affiliates. When we make safety our focus, fewer claims will result. Insurance premiums won’t rise as quickly, and monies can be spent building houses and managing ReStores.
We’re providing every affiliate with a Safety Toolkit. Use the toolkit and read our Safety news feeds on this website to find useful information for putting safety first.
SAFETY MATTERS. SAFETY FIRST. TOOLKIT BOOKLET
If you would like to print additional copies of the safety toolkit booklet you may do so here.
SAFETY MATTERS. SAFETY FIRST POSTER
Want additional copies of the Safety Matters. Safety First. poster that was included in the Safety Toolkit? You can print and laminate additional copies as you need them.
SAFETY MATTERS. SAFETY FIRST. STICKER SHEETS
We hope you’ve used your Safety Matters. Safety First. stickers on your job sites. And we want to be sure you know where to buy more.
Go to www.planetlabel.com. Look under Blank Sheet Labels and from there you can order a variety of colors and download a template to print out as you need them.