It’s important to take good care of your body and mind—not only in the midst of challenging times, but every day. Between work stressors, constant news updates, household chores, family requirements and more, practicing self-care isn’t always easy, which is why many people place self-care last. However, self-care is extremely important to stay healthy, happy and resilient.
Eating right, reducing stress, exercising regularly and taking breaks are common elements of self-care. Read on to learn how to incorporate more self-care into your everyday life.
By exercising at least thirty minutes every day, you receive physical and mental benefits. Physical benefits of exercise include:
- Helps with weight loss
- Plays a vital role in building and maintaining strong muscles and bones
- Stimulates blood flow helping reduce the risk of chronic disease and improves skin health
- Can help reduce chronic pain
Mental benefits of exercise include:
- Releases hormones and endorphins which have been shown to help improve your overall mood and decrease feelings of depression, anxiety and stress
- Can help reduce feelings of fatigue and significantly increase energy levels
- Stimulates blood flow helps reduce inflammation, protecting your memory and thinking skills
- Aids in relaxation, increases sleep quality and helps individuals suffering from insomnia
Create and follow a sleep routine that allows for seven to eight hours of sleep a night. A good night’s rest boosts your mood, helps you cope with stress and gives your body time to relax after a long day.
Did you know there are more endorphins in your gut than your brain? Ensuring that you have a healthy gut is an absolute must when working towards wellness.
- Drink water frequently throughout the day
- Do your best to cut out junk food and processed food
- If possible, cook at home and prepare a well-balanced healthy meal
- Both the NHS and CDC have information on this topic and are a great resource
Additional self-care tips
- Practice good hygiene
- Schedule time for yourself
- Listen to music
- Don’t overwork
- Take a relaxing bath
- Play a game
- Spend time with family
- Detox from technology
- Spend time outside
- Declutter your living space
- Read a book
- Try something new
It can be difficult to set time aside for self-care, but it is important to do so. Try implementing these tips and encouraging affiliate employees and volunteers to do the same.