Slips, trips and falls account for the largest number of claims filed time and time again. In the last three months, there have been 268 insurance claims filed, 81 of those claims alone were caused by slips, trips and falls. That’s 30% of the claims. A huge majority of these claims are preventable. The most important thing that you can do to help prevent these injuries is to follow these 9 tips:
- Keep walking surfaces clean—Keep walkways clear of any debris or clutter. By storing objects properly, you are making sure that someone doesn’t get hurt later.
- Use proper lighting—Without proper lighting, individuals are more likely to hurt themselves. These injuries are easily preventable by checking and replacing light bulbs regularly.
- Implement signage—Place signs around work areas to educate everyone there is a possible risk and that they should take caution when proceeding.
- Upkeep stairways and handrails—Stairs are the second most dangerous place in a workplace or on a job site. Always ensure that a stairway is clear of objects and that there are no loose boards or nails. Ensure that there is a properly installed handrail.
- Use step stools and ladders—Anytime you are trying to reach something in a high place, use a step stool or ladder. By doing this, you put less strain on your back when picking up the object. Make sure to use to proper size ladder or step stool and follow ladder safety techniques.
- Manage cords—Cords are small and often hard to see when carrying and object. Ensure that they are placed and stored out of walkways. If you must place a cord in a walkway, it is recommended you tape the cord down so it is not a tripping hazard.
- Check floor conditions—Ensure the floor is in a good clean condition. Dirty and poor floors can cause numerous injuries.
- Use non-skid throw rugs on slippery surfaces—Place non-skid mats on slippery surfaces.
- Clean up spills immediately—Clean spills right away to guarantee they will not become an issue.