Your Habitat for Humanity affiliate has the responsibility to ensure that anyone who drives for the company’s business fits into the defined driver guidelines. If a person doesn’t fit the guidelines, he or she should not be allowed to drive on behalf of your affiliate.
If our insurance carrier finds that a driver who is listed on the Auto policy does not fit the guidelines, they have the right to charge your affiliate an additional premium and/or they have the right to exclude them as a driver under the policy.
Individuals who fit these guidelines below can be given immediate permission to drive for your affiliate’s business.
- Be at least 18 years of age (Drivers 18-21 must have clean driving record and 1 year driving experience)
- Have a valid license, CDL if required
- Have at least 3 year experience driving any specialized vehicle
- Have NO Type A violations in the last 5 years
- Have no license suspension or revocation in the last 3 years
- Have no more than a total of 3 Type B violations in the last 3 years
- Have no more than a total of 3 accidents (regardless of fault) in the last 3 years
- No more than a combination of 4 accidents and Type B violations in the last 3 years
- If the driver is a new hire to the risk, training must be provided and documented that the driver is prepared to drive the specialized vehicle
Type A Violations:
- Driving while intoxicated
- Driving under the influence of drugs
- Negligent homicide arising from the use of a motor vehicle (gross negligence)
- Operating a motor vehicle during a period of suspension or revocation of privileges
- Using a motor vehicle for the commission of a felony
- Aggravated assault with a motor vehicle
- Operating a motor vehicle without the owner permission/authority (grand theft)
- Permitting an unlicensed person to drive a motor vehicle
- Reckless driving/Careless driving
- Speed Contest
- Hit and Run (BI or PD) driving
TYPE B VIOLATIONS – all moving violations not listed as Type A
It’s important to maintain an active file of those persons you have indicated as drivers, including a copy of their personal driver’s license and motor vehicle record. This can be requested by the carrier at any time.
Please also remember to report new individuals you plan to drive for the affiliate to us. The information to send is their name, driver’s license number and state issued and their date of birth, and a legible copy of the driver’s license. You can send this information to us by email to email@example.com or by fax to