From bake sales to bowl-athons, fundraising is as innate to Habitat for Humanity as building homes is. Financial donations keep your operations moving forward, providing the money to finish builds and plan for future builds. It is important to remember that while putting these events on, you are also opening your affiliate up for additional risk. If someone is injured or suffers property damage while participating in your event, you may be held liable for their damages. It’s a detail many tend to overlook.
Within the Habitat for Humanity Affiliate master policy there are many events that are covered events – a list is provided below. When planning an event please refer to this list to see if it is covered by the master general liability and umbrella policies.
If it is not a covered event, please contact us so we can arrange for a separate Special Events policy to cover your event. This is very important so we can ensure your affiliate is properly covered.
The following are examples of special events that are covered under the general liability and umbrella policy:
- Garage Sales
- Bakes Sales
- Silent Auctions
- Bowling Events
- Bicycle Events
- Pancake Breakfasts & Dinners
- Car Washes
- Informational Presentations
The following are examples of special events excluded from the master general liability and/or umbrella policies. A separate policy must be purchased for any event involving:
- Mechanical bulls
- Aircraft including balloons
- Professional sporting activities or events
- Rap or heavy metal concerts or performances
- Pyrotechnical devices, including fireworks or explosives
- Motorized sporting events, including tractor/truck pulls and racing
- Circus, carnivals or other events with mechanical amusement devices
- Boxing, wrestling, hockey, karate or an other amateur contact athletic/sporting event
- Selling, serving or furnishing of alcoholic beverages requiring a liquor license and where the vendor is not obligated pursuant to a written contract or agreement to provide a defense for and to hold harmless the named insured
It is our goal to ensure that every affiliate participating in the Habitat for Humanity Affiliate Insurance Program is covered for the events they sponsor and participate in. However, it is the affiliate’s responsibility to contact our Client Solutions department if a fundraising or special event is planned so coverage can be secured. You can reach our team at (888) 553-9002.