Print This Post
Most construction businesses have company-owned vehicles to do business, and Habitat affiliates are no exception. But it’s important for affiliate leaders to be selective about whom they allow to drive the affiliate’s vehicles… not just anyone should be allowed behind the wheel. There are rules and procedures that should be implemented for anyone who drives on affiliate business.
The following Do’s and Don’ts provide guidelines for you to use when considering allowing an employee or volunteer to drive a company vehicle and other tips for safe driving:
- Do check drivers’ motor vehicle records for driving history. This will provide some indication as to the type of driver the person is.
- Do conduct a road test to allow candidates to demonstrate their driving abilities.
- Do plan out routes before leaving for the day. This allows the driver to avoid driving during rush hour.
- Do keep up on proper maintenance of vehicles, including tire pressure. Maintaining vehicles helps prevent breakdowns, which can put drivers in dangerous situations.
- Do implement a mandatory seatbelt policy for all drivers and passengers.
- Do leave affiliate-owned vehicles in a safe place over night, preferably in a well-lit, secured area.
- Don’t allow driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Not only is it dangerous, but it’s illegal.
- Don’t allow drivers to talk on the phone OR TEXT while driving. Studies show both of these activities impair reaction times and steering ability.
- Don’t permit anyone not affiliated with Habitat to ride in your vehicles. If they were to be injured you could be liable for their injuries.
- Don’t allow drivers to run personal errands while driving company vehicles. Unrelated stops and errands keep your autos on the road for longer than they need be, making them more susceptible to an accident.
- Do secure an Auto Liability policy with the Habitat for Humanity Affiliate Insurance Program. If you do not currently have an auto policy with the program, call our Client Solutions team at (888) 553-9002.
If you have any questions this information please call us at (888) 553-9002.